Happy June! We are halfway through the year and I’ve been thinking a lot about my New Year’s Resolutions. One of my main goals this year was to heal my skin. While I’ve cleaned up my diet and lifestyle quite a bit, I’d really like to use the month of June to take my progress to the next level.
My goal for this month is to significantly decrease my acne and to begin lightening and healing the resulting scars.
Here are some current pictures of my skin (warning – not very pleasant):
It actually looks better in the photos than it does in real life , but I have some very inflamed breakouts on my chin, small whiteheads covering my jawline and cheeks, and lots of hyperpigmentation and scarring especially on the right side of my face.
My acne is a result of chronic illness. Inflammation in my digestive track along with hormonal imbalance causes it to flare and it was pretty debilitating in the recent past. I’ve made a lot of positive changes in my diet and lifestyle, and as a result I’ve made significant strides in healing my body. My current lifestyle includes:
- Whole foods diet – no refined sugar, gluten, dairy, coffee, or processed foods, and limited natural sugar
- 7 to 9 hours of sleep a night
- Decreased environmental toxins (all natural beauty and household products, filtered water, etc.)
While I’m proud of the changes I’ve made (cooking every meal from scratch is a feat), there is definitely room for improvement (*cough* exercise *cough*). My plan is to stick to the following goals as closely as possible and measure the improvement in my digestion, hormones, energy level, mood, and, of course, skin at the end of 30 days.
- Eat an anti-inflammatory Keto diet
- Decrease caffeinated tea intake
- Increase water consumption
- Eat reasonably sized and timed meals, being aware of the urge to emotional eat (overeating and eating late at night)
- Exercise a minimum of three days a week
I’ll keep you updated on my progress! What were your New Year’s Resolutions? Will you revisit them now that we are half way through the year?